Do you use Android IFTTT freeware (if this then that) to automate tasks & connections between apps & servers?

1 view

arlen holder

Jan 28, 2019, 2:16:55 PM1/28/19
Do you use Android IFTTT (if this then that) freeware to automate tasks &
connections between apps & servers?
o IFTTT, by IFTTT
o <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ifttt.ifttt>

The advertisement on Google Play says:
o "There are thousands of use cases!"

Since the service seems to "require" a sign-in, I would like to ask what
the advantages you found using IFTTT that weigh against that disadvantage

David Higton

Jan 28, 2019, 4:29:47 PM1/28/19
In message <q2nkf5$9gs$1...@news.mixmin.net>
I use IFTTT, but I regard it as providing links between services that
I wouldn't otherwise be able to connect, rather than automating tasks.
YMMV.

For example, I've got a Raspberry Pi controlling each of the thermostatic
valves on my central heating radiators. The software is completely
home-brewed. I can use "OK Google" to give voise commands to IFTTT,
which them issues HTTP commands to my CH controller. Thus I can
override any scheduled profile by voice command.

I've also got a wireless door bell with two receivers, one of which
I wired up to another micro which sends a message to IFTTT when
anyone presses the doorbell. IFTTT then sends a message to Pushover
so my mobile phone gets an alert. This is not for when I'm out of
the house; it's for when I'm out of earshot of the doorbell, e.g. in
the garden, or when we're two rooms away and the doors are shut so
we can't hear the doorbell.

The advantage is that I can do things that I don't know how to do
any other way.

You have to sign in so as to create your own private apps which are not
available to anyone else, e.g. I wouldn't want anyone else controlling
my CH system. You /can/ publish applets so that anyone can use them,
but mine are by their nature personal to me.

Dave

arlen holder

Jan 28, 2019, 7:48:34 PM1/28/19
On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 21:29:06 GMT, David Higton wrote:

> I can use "OK Google" to give voise commands to IFTTT,
> which them issues HTTP commands to my CH controller. Thus I can
> override any scheduled profile by voice command.

Hi David Higton,
Thanks for the purposefully helpful information about IFTTT usage.

That's pretty interesting, since IFTTT works when you're _away_ from home
to transmit commands to your home controller.

> I've also got a wireless door bell with two receivers, one of which
> I wired up to another micro which sends a message to IFTTT when
> anyone presses the doorbell. IFTTT then sends a message to Pushover
> so my mobile phone gets an alert.

Wow. That's _another_ fantastic usage for IFTTT, as a notification
mechanism, to transmit events.

> The advantage is that I can do things that I don't know how to do
> any other way.

It's nice that IFTTT is set up to enable both the commands and the
notification mechanism.

> You have to sign in so as to create your own private apps which are not
> available to anyone else, e.g. I wouldn't want anyone else controlling
> my CH system. You /can/ publish applets so that anyone can use them,
> but mine are by their nature personal to me.

Thanks for that useful advice.
I'll dig deeper into what IFTTT can do.

For example, here's an article with "35 examples" of IFTTT recipes:
o https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/ifttt-recipes-smart-home-automation-nest-philips-hue-2936562